- He really wants to be in dialogue with prior sociological research, defining terms and then throwing a curveball
Ch. 3 - Code Switching
Ch. 4 - Pastor
- Whole chapter on one person, high stakes
- Non sequiturs to get youth to accidentally reveal info
- "Machismo, futile" comment from public defender
Claiming intimacy and distance at the same time
- Intimacy for authority, distance re: couldn't have done anything to connect Canada and Pastor
- What would it look like done better? Writing? Methods?
If you're going to write about a group of people, should they be your audience? Should your work be accessible to them?
- Reciprocity, accountability
- Do other people need to read this book?
Teach a man to fish: uplift the subjects so they can tell them themselves
- But it's not the work of social science
- Feedback loop should be considered in methods
- Much more unease in reading this book this year than when it was assigned in previous years