- MTA featured in MIT News
- Resources on music of Hawai'i
- Have keyboard on hand tomorrow for improvisation
- Bobby McFerrin HW deadline extended to next Monday
- Next Wed: exam 1, like a long assignment (no time constraint), no Zoom class
- Practice exam will be posted tomorrow
So... how to transcribe?
- Max 2-3 hours (took him 5 minutes)
- Slow it down a bit and do it in chunks (the more experience you have, the larger chunks you can do)
- Rhythm: know downbeat from watching his palm / thumb
- Pitch: go through (reasonably expected) notes on piano (7 notes in key)
- Today: general counterpoint; later: "species counterpoint"
- We gonna write melodies!
- Easy to sing while retaining some degree of musical interest
- In-class melody exercise
- What I described is basically the compositional process for all time-scales, project scope, etc.
- Les Mes - One Day More ahhhh
- Key & Peele - Les Mis parody heehee
- Oblique motion
- Parallel motion
- Similar motion
- Contrary motion
- Formal definition of drone?
Z O N E D O U T
TODO: watch recording